Let’s Start 2015 With a Savings Goal TOGETHER!! Here’s the plan!

This post may contain sponsored or affiliate links.

RE-POST and UPDATE for 2015!!!

Did you break the bank for Christmas this year??  Not me! I had most of my shopping money saved up by using this little gimmick all year!

I started this plan 2 years ago and fell off the wagon in June. I did it again this year and this time, I stayed true to the plan until mid-autumn when I started Christmas shopping. For 2015, I plan to do it again and have all that cash saved up and ready!  I posted a teaser and so many people were interested, that I thought I would go ahead and post the plan for you.

WE WILL START IN JANUARY –  BUT, you can read below and be ready. Plus, I have added some things others have suggested that made it easier for them. The important thing is that you are saving a little and that it is accumulating. Your chosen process doesn’t matter.

52 week saving challenge

You simply make a small deposit each week, according to what week of the year it is, and at the end of the year, you will have $1378! Again, this will be my 3rd year to do this and I will start again next week. I would love for you to join me.

But, I think we need two things to make this successful:

1) Somewhere to put it.
2) Someway to remember to put it!

We can remind each other and keep track of our savings! So, I will remind you each week to make your deposit. I will be putting mine in my Capital One 360 Account. I encourage you to do the same. If you don’t have or are not familiar with the Capital One 360 account, I can tell you that I have had it for about 3 years and have ZERO complaints. There are no fees and I have it connected to my Paypal account for easy transfers.  Since it is owned by Capital One, it is accessible at their ATMs. This is where I keep my Christmas money all year. It’s not in the general family fund, but is accessible if I REALLY need it!

If you haven’t opened one yet, you can go straight to sign up HEREYou might even find a little surprise when you do!!

Just think how far that $1378 will go on Christmas expenses next year…or a Disney trip (that’s almost half of the cost!), or toward paying off a bill! So, now I will share this post with you and next week, I will make my deposit to my Capital One 360 account!

******UPDATE – I just wanted add a couple of points that people made when I first posted this last year. You can adjust this just a smidge if you prefer. Here are some of the alterations that were suggested:

1 – Start at the end and work up. Deposit more now, while you are motivated and knowing that you have less to deposit each week will help you stay on track.  It will look like this:

52 week saving REVERSE

2 – Print the chart out and mark off amounts as you get them and deposit them. For example, if you have $10 that you want to deposit this week, you could either mark off weeks 1 – 4 (1+2+3+4 = 10) or mark off week 10 ($10). Just bounce around the chart and make sure that you deposit regularly and keep track of what you have done.

3 – If you do a few weeks doubling up on your deposits, you will have the money earlier than scheduled and be able to use it for Christmas shopping!  That $10 example in #2 will take off 3 weeks!

4- If you line these deposits up in 4 week columns, it averages out to $106.00 per 4 week period, or $26.50 per week or $53 per two week pay period. However you want to do it, is just fine! JUST DO IT!

5. Share this post with your friends and let’s all encourage each other!

Stay tuned for WEEK ONE DEPOSIT Next Week!

****Disclosure – the links in this post are my personal referral links and  I will earn a small referral fee if you use them (and I will love you for it.) Once you are signed up, you can refer your friends and earn the same fee.

Help us help you...share this post!
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Pin on Pinterest
Pinterest
Linkedin
Email this to someone
Print this page
This entry was posted in Lagniappe Money and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

71 Responses to Let’s Start 2015 With a Savings Goal TOGETHER!! Here’s the plan!

1. Jessica says:

I love this so much! I transfer money back and forth between my account way too often so I am going to physically have the money in a jar up in my closet. I am way less likely to use it there. I will definitely be doing it in reverse as well. I need a gimmicky system like this to help keep me focused and motivated, otherwise, it just doesn’t seem to happen for me! Thanks!

2. Sharon says:

I am doing this for my first time. I work at Heritage Bank in downtown Covington, I have several customers who have been doing this and it works GREAT for them. Some of them are putting it into a Christmas Club account. That way they are not tempted to touch it until the end of October, when their check is disbursed.

3. melody says:

Just Love it both my husband and I did it.

4. Shelia Carr says:

I like this. I have already started im doing it in reverse. Thanks

5. Tammi says:

I applied for this account with 360 and went thru the whole process only to be sent back to the beginning. I did it twice. Now I’m not sure if I have an account or not. Anyone have problems?

6. Coach Thorne says:

This seems pretty kool I jus strtd this wk and can’t wait to challenge myself mentally all yr, gives u planning for the future and a sense of some financial stability.

7. Carol says:

I am doing this so I have extra at Christmas, thanks for sharing !!!

8. tawana says:

I did it last year..I did not have a savings account, what I did was for each week I went to my local bank and go the amount in change ( I would only get pennies, Nickels and Dime) that way I could not spend it and it worked out great for me had a great Christmas…..

9. I love this idea — thanks for posting it. Also shared on Facebook.

10. Jamie Woodbury says:

I am going to do this. But put it in my savings I have already set up.

11. JustAThought says:

A consistent deposit of $26.50 per week will achieve the same goal and is easier to budget….

12. Bridgette Randolph says:

I plan on doing this. Its simple. I agree most cannot afford a hit, but at least you know in your mind you have it. and you can use it later unlike savings bonds or some other interest plans or spending. I am sure many people can anticipate the funds from a Susu or something. Also if you do not have great credit Capital one will work with you to finance a car, home or business even give you a $300 credit card like discover that pays you back. So having an account with them is not a bad thing. Not good at paying debts back they will gladly do direct deposit no worries

13. Waleisah Wilson says:

Sounds great but the only thing that worries me is that you have to link your existing checking account to this 360 one. Is this safe? I just ask because so many people seem to resort to scamming others and finding new ways to steal their money (I have been burned several times in similar ways) and giving someone access to your bank account is questionable. Have you had any issues or concerns from consumers regarding any fraudulent activity on 360’s behalf?

• Kari says:

I have had ZERO problems with them! I have had my account for about 2 years and I love it! It’s convenient, but not so much that you can easily take the money. It takes a few days, so it’s safer for your savings to be out of your own reach!

14. Delany says:

awesome!! Thanks for sharing!! :D

Love it.

15. becky doss says:

I am in

16. Linda Windham says:

This should be easy to do and just think how glad we will be next Christmas.

17. tracey downey says:

plan on doing this also, also like the idea about doing it by the month. I am also a capital one credit card customer and when i go to their web site i find no mention of the $50 bonus. i do however find one for 25 on the savings account.

• Kari says:

Tracey, this is not “Capital One”, It’s a new company that they purchased this past year. Go through the links in the post and you will see the $50 bonus.

• L Dougherty says:

If you ever had an ING account, that is who Capital One bought out and they now call it Capital One 360 (I guess to differentiate it from the main company).

18. eloise r luckett says:

yes that good plan I am with u on that ideal that good plan for people who can save lot about doing that plan thank for ideal I will start when u start can I do with the bank account are do have be debit card

• Kari says:

Eloise – the back account is open to anyone. But, it is a CHECKING Account…they will send you a debit card and once you activate the card, you have 45 days to make 3 small purchases with it – so you have to deposit a small amount to open and cover these debits. Then, if you complete this, on day 50, they will put $50 in your account. Easy and free. I’ve had it about 2 years or so and LOVE it.

• r. avery says:

once you’ve made these small purchases, doesn’t that throw your account balance off? my husband and I are thinking about doing this.

• Kari says:

Well, you certainly have to take that into account. But, you have to put something in there to make the debits. It doesn’t have to come out of your savings funds.

19. Paula Blair says:

I think I’ll give it a try!

20. Lizzie B says:

Is there a way that this could be done automatically? If I don’t have to think about it, i think i’d be much more successful

21. Jenny stotts Lundy says:

I’m joining and completing this in reverse! Awesome way to save!

22. Jenny says:

I love the different options… so ready for this – This is going to pay for a huge part of our family trip next year!

23. angie says:

can I do the same with my savings account I have now…

24. maritsa says:

I cant wait to start!! :) thank you for sharing :)

25. Carol says:

This should be fun.

26. Marybeth Williams says:

I’m doing it ×4 for my kids an I :)

27. Kimberly says:

I’m going to try this

28. Brian says:

Isn’t it just easier to get say $25 taken directly out of your paycheck (50 if you get paid every other week) and put into a savings account? Its the same amount, less harsh on the upper weeks, and you never “have” the money so it’s easier to deal with

29. Yvette says:

I’m trying it backwards that way the closer I get to the holidays the less I’m putting out

30. Haydee says:

I will be joining but no Capitol Ones in the South lol .

• Samantha says:

We have Capitol Ones in Louisiana. But the good thing is that this is an online account, not a local account, so you don’t have to have a branch nearby.

31. Kristy says:

Done deal! This is s great way to save for Christmas or vacations so as to not over extend yourself in credit card debt. I’m excited to begin.

32. Patty Reed says:

I was wondering if anyone else has opened an account with this 360 checking account, let me know if any troubles..

33. Gary Lenhart says:

Shelia we are old friends from high school and Maplewood. I am not a hreat saver but I will do it with you if you will help. This is a two folded proposition I will do this but I will do two accounts one for me and one for a charity, secondly you must remind me every week. This will give us a chance to talk again and see what has happened in the past since we lived in maplewood making us closer friends and it eill help others as God ask us to. How about it for an old friend and neighbor snd for the others er help. I miss old friends and neighbors you are on my friends list do ley me know my angel love from a friend Gary

34. Mary Floyd says:

I have to do this; I don’t plan on having another year like this one.

Blessed and Highly Favored

35. Joyce Lake says:

I will do it. Great way to save for Christmas 2014!

36. MikaylA says:

So numbers are weeks? Not day s ?

• Kari says:

Correct – weekly deposits.

• bwc says:

Why not make it days.. until the person hit the max that you can save then keep it at that rate. 1000 something per year is too small savings don’t you think? I mean they are being discipline already anyways, so might as well save more ..and it’s addicting. (I know first hand..see below).

At the end of 365 days cumulative, if you can actually keep it up, which is rare, you will have (n * (n+1))/2 = $66795.. Obviously once a person hit the end of 1st month, some can’t keep up, so you maintain at that level because that is the MAX that you REALLY save (instead of making excuse saying they can’t save)

So at the end of month on a 30 days, you will have (31*(31+1))/2 = $496 per month already.. that is over 1/3 of your initially weekly plan above achieved already. Now if you cannot save 31 per day on the 31st day, you can keep it at $496, which is *really* the max you can save.

Then $496*12 = $5952.. which is about 4.3 times your initally $1378 !
        Once you know this, $5952 is your goal for this year. If you are less aggressively saver or of course life not perfect, so you might use 10 months benchmark… so $496*10 = $4960 or round to $5000 and set that as your main goal to reach by end of the year.

I’m not showing off, but just so you know if it works and why people should at least try what I did, I personally amass savings of over $142K over a span of 8 years.. (and it’s was not always averaging out to 17Kish savings per year.. it was small at first while cutting cc debt and after free of cc, the savings hit over 18k and over last couple of years).

Nice blog post to get people going though btw.

• Kari says:

Ummm. HUH??

This plan works for a few reasons….it’s do-able for most any budget. It’s “gimmicky” and catchy and easy to understand the concept. It makes a reasonable savings for things like Christmas spending, or a vacation…..Most people can’t afford to take a $6,000 year pay cut, which is basically what you described above. I know, it’s a savings and not a cut, but if you are taking these funds out of your own budget….essentially, that’s what you are doing. My readers follow this blog because they need to live on a tight budget. So, while, theoretically, your plan is better because you have more saved, most of my readers can’t take that kind of hit out of their budget. I know I can’t.

But, If that works for you, then by all means – SAVE MORE!!

No one has ever said that this was the BEST SAVINGS PLAN EVER!! It’s simple, achievable and therefore, more people will be able to accomplish it. I am amazed at the number of comments calling it silly and other things. If it isn’t for you, don’t do it. Simple as that. That is why I offer different ways to do it. It’s not a requirement. It’s a suggestion. A fun way to save for end of the year needs. That is all.

Thanks for your comment and good luck with whichever plan you do!

37. tracy says:

I doing this

38. Renee says:

Doing this with my 5 year old as a fun way to start his first savings account.

39. Cheryl Wilkerson says:

Me and my husband both are joining the band wagon!!!! Twice the savings!!!!

40. shontia whatley says:

I’m going to do this and share wit my friends.

41. Keturiah Smith says:

Seems worth doing!

42. Jeannie Taylor says:

Would sooo love to do this!!

43. Frances says:

I think i might try this.

44. Danita says:

Yes I can do this !

45. des says:

Sign up for capital one 360 a month ago and still arguing with them no small deposit, no card and 15 days left to get my bonus. If I didn’t know other people with this account I would think it’s bogus

46. Tanya Binford says:

I’m going to do it and share it with my friends.

47. Renessa says:

I am so doing this. . just to let you know your on your chart the acct bal on week 49 is wrong it should be 1,225 not 1,125. love this!!

48. Dobado says:

I’m doing this. But, I am doing it by the month, $1 for each day/date of the month instead of week, at $465.00 per month (average) that’s $5580 for the year.

49. Jaime Amaua says:

We did it. That is my wife and me
    Just finished the year. Starting the new year the same way, saving for your cruise

50. Sarah says:

I think this is totally doable!

51. Lezanne Dennis says: